overview of a head to heart format
Head to Heart is a small group discipleship process that has changed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people around the world. During the 21-weeks participants will:
1. ) Read the material and do the assignments 2.) Watch the video together as a group or individually depending on the format of your group. 3.) Break out into your gender specific small group.
- Identity a Group Leader and Facilitator(s)
- The Group Leader is the coordinator of the event who will lead the group overall. They would typically promote the group, find and lead the facilitators, find a venue, order the books, begin each meeting.
- A Facilitator would be in charge of leading the small gender specific small group.
- You will need at least 4 people to start a group. (see Minimum participants required section) If you are unable to find 4 other people to join you, email firstname.lastname@example.org for info on groups near you.
- You will need the materials listed below under "Materials needed".
- Share the details of your group for BWGI to help advertise & promote. Email: email@example.com Promotional materials are also available under "H2H Promo Material" section.
what you'll need to start a group today
Details of the Head-to-Heart Experience
Overview of a Head-to-Heart Session
Agenda Time Required Time Elapsed
Teaching Time (watch video) 1 hour 1 hour
Gender specific small group time 1-1/2 hours 2-1/2 hours
Teaching time can be together as a group or individually at another time. For example, if you would like to run Head to Heart during your 1hr Sunday school class you could have participants watch the videos on their own. The Sunday school would then just be for Gender specific small group time.
1. Before the Class: Throughout the 21-weeks participants must read the specified text and answer the Reflection Questions. Participants will also work on the False Instincts Exercise and complete and present their Life Map to their small group. On average it is about one-and-a-half hours of work a week to complete the assignments.
2. Minimum participants required to start: One of the key elements of the Head to Heart process is the creation of a safe, small group environment. All participants will be together for the Teaching Time section and then they will break out into gender specific small groups.
- The minimum amount of participants required to start a group would be 2 participants and 2 facilitators. Note that they must be the same gender, not mixed. If your group is small, you can identify 1 facilitator and designate someone in the group to facilitate in their absence.
- The gender specific groups should be no more than 6 participants and 2 facilitators for a total of 8. If you would prefer to have only 1 facilitator make sure that you designate someone as a backup in their absence.
- Having more than 8 people would not give all participants ample time to share during the 1-hour Gender Specific Small Group Section.
The materials consist of the Head-to-Heart and Becoming What God Intended Workbooks along with 21 videos. The total cost for the materials is as follows:
- Head-to-Heart workbook - $55
- Becoming What God Intended workbook - $20
- Access to online videos – $10
- Total cost per participant $85
- Group leader would need to purchase 21 Online Videos. Session 22 is a celebration and no video will be played.
what you'll need to get started
- Identify a Group Leader who will promote & coordinate the program.
- Promote the Head-to-Heart Experience using the Promotional material that you can download in the "H2H Promo Material" section.
- Interview prospective participants. Interview questions can be downloaded from the BWGI Website. (Coming in September)
- Determine the total number of participants. Divide the groups into 3-6 participants and 2 facilitators or 1 facilitator and a back-up. The gender specific groups should be no less than 4 and no more than 8 total.
- Identify enough facilitators that would lead the gender specific small group discussions. For every gender specific group we recommend 2 facilitators or 1 facilitator and a back-up. Having 2 facilitators would ensure that at least 1 facilitator is present to lead the group should one not be able to attend.
- Pick a day and time that would work best for the participants. We recommend that you coordinate a snack or meal element into your meeting time.
- Find a meeting place that would be big enough to seat all the participants and also have enough rooms for each gender specific group. Given the need to create a safe environment ensure that groups have privacy.
- Have video & audio equipment set up for each session to be used for the Teaching Time.
- Purchase the 1.) Head-to-Heart Book, 2.) Becoming What God Intended Workbook and 3.) Videos..
- The on line videos are available on Vimeo for the duration of your program for a cost of $10/person. Group leaders must advise BWGI Ministries of the start & end dates of the group. We do not recommend that the group extend for more than 6 months so as to ensure continuity and development of the small groups. The videos can be made available offline so participants can watch the videos without the need for Internet connection.
- Need more info? Just email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email email@example.com to find a Head to Heart group in your area.